Thursday, September 1, 2011

Last port before Auckland: Apia

Quote of the Day: “Our marriage was a good partnership. Once he was man enough to admit that a woman could have brains.”

Two days ago I went down with the ship’s bug, dammit. Cough, cold, sore throat, generally feeling like sh*t… much like manflu really. So the thought of going ashore in the heat and humidity of Apia did nothing for me at all. After breakfast, I collapsed back into bed, and mentally wrote the day off.

Surprisingly, I woke a couple of hours later feeling much better. Thank you Uncle Lemsip… Too late to link up with anyone else, I set off by myself for a look around. I had noted a coffee shop advertising that they did good quality coffee, so vaguely headed in their direction. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find it – something to do with no street signs. Finally ended up at the main market, where there was a farewell underway for the Samoan rugby team heading for the World Cup. Big affair, complete with Police Brass Band, and team parade. Go Samoa!

People here are very friendly, and I ended up chatting with a couple of locals. One had spent time working in Christchurch and Auckland, as well as spending some time in the States. Gave me a lecture about lazy Samoans living overseas! Oh well…

On the way back I found a large number of people from the ship holed up in Aggie Gray’s, famous restaurant and bar. Always strikes me as a little odd that you would arrive in a foreign port, only to head for a bar, and sit there for hours drinking with people you’re on the ship with…

I found a lovely little park across the road, on the edge of the harbour, where I parked myself under a palm tree. A couple of locals plucked up enough courage to come over and talk to the strange white guy sitting by himself, and we had a good old chat. Turns out they were barmen from Aggie Gray’s, who were just chilling until it was time to start work. Kind of ironic I thought… One said he could never go and work in New Zealand, even though his brother was there – he’d be too frightened! Puts a different perspective on things, doesn’t it?

Lovely sail away, then a sudden 180, and we were heading back to Apia. The captain announced that there was a medical emergency on board, and a lady had to be taken off via the pilot boat, and taken to hospital. This afternoon he announced that she was doing ok, so that was a relief all round. Just as well we were only 30 minutes from port.


2 comments:

  1. What am I going to do when I don't have all your blogs to read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll miss them, too, Philip, but we start our own adventure on the 15th when we fly to Vancouver to board Radiance of the Seas for 28 nights through to Hawaii, Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Auckland and Sydney.

    ReplyDelete