Monday, August 8, 2011

Panama Canal - a fun day.

Quote of the Day: “I got up at 5am to see the sail away from Colon, but it was still dark. So I went back to bed, and the next thing I know it’s after 7am and I’d missed the first lock. Only answer was to go to breakfast.”

The passage through the Canal was scheduled for several hours earlier than last year, so I didn’t think I’d be up to see the first part. Having stayed up chatting until after midnight didn’t help either.
Exiting a lock

It was still another fun day, even if it didn’t have the same excitement the second time in two years. There’s an endless stream of thing to see, and just when you think you might go have something to eat, something else happens. Like rain! Apparently the people up early got soaked, and there was another downpour as we passed through the last of the locks. I retreated to the gym at that point, and watched out the window and on TV. Much more pleasant than getting drenched out on deck.
Bridge of the Americas

Now we want to know who was responsible for scraping the ship along the edge of one of the locks. It wasn’t the captain, as he hands over control to a pilot to take her through. So was it the pilot? Or did someone else up on the bridge misjudge where we were? In any case, some poor old crewmember will be out with the long-handled paintbrush at the next port!

The chocolate count is up to 27, so I’m putting up a pic of the latest choc-art design. I now change it twice a day, which keeps me amused, and hopefully gives Mr Sumee a bit of a giggle too. He’s the soul of discretion though, and hasn’t mentioned it yet… it probably just reinforces his opinion of crazy Europeans.

Choc-art progress

No comments:

Post a Comment