Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bermuda Shorts time...

Quote of the Day: “It’s a good job it’s a port day today. (My husband) needs to get his feet on the ground for a while. All these sea days are driving him crazy, which means he’s driving me crazy…”


It appears that we have survived the Atlantic crossing, with not an iceberg in sight. We weren’t swallowed up in the Bermuda Triangle, so that just leaves us with the Hurricane season to contend with over the next week or so…

Bermuda was a blast. It was a beautiful, warm, tropical day, and the first serious warmth for me for over two weeks. I had got myself very well organized for this port. Even though I hadn’t booked an excursion, I’d got ferry and bus timetables, and had thought of going to one of the larger towns on the island.

But this morning I decided I couldn’t be bothered rushing anywhere! Not that there was anything to rush for… we docked about 11am (later than scheduled), and it was a real zoo in the Atrium, as most of the passengers, and a good number of the crew, all tried to get off at the same time. Boy, did that ever bring out the worst in some people!

I got separated from my cabin by the crush (I’m not tough enough to take on a hoard of crabby Aussies jockeying for position) but got chatting with a couple of CC members, and by the time we had finished the conversation, the throng had departed. We were then able to amble ashore with no bother at all.

I spent the afternoon visiting the Maritime Museum, which showcased much of Bermuda’s early years as a penal colony, and as part of the slave trading routes. Very interesting, and all housed in the historic Governor’s House. Also took in the local craft market, glass works, and shopping centre. It might have been planned as a lazy day, but my feet still hurt with all the walking…


No comments:

Post a Comment