Sunday, July 24, 2011

Dublin

Quote of the Day: “My husband didn’t come with me this year. I got him to do the Round the World with me in 2009 and 2010, so I suppose I had to let him off this year. And my daughter tells me he seems to be really happy at home by himself…”

Our lovely guide at the Castle
Dublin was the port we missed last year because of the weather. It’s also where a number of passengers were left stranded, and had to get themselves to New York to rejoin the ship. So I was delighted to find when I woke up that we were docked.

I had planned another “do it yourself” day, so grabbed an early shuttle into the city, which got me to the National Gallery just after opening time. Unfortunately the gallery is undergoing restoration, so half was closed… and half of what was left was also closed, as they were setting up a new exhibit! Bad timing. Quick stop here, then back onto the streets…

Next was Dublin Castle, where I timed it just right to get on one of their guided tours. There wasn’t a lot to see on the tour, but our guide gave a great talk about the history of the Castle, and of Dublin itself, so I really enjoyed that.

The "credit card friendly" Cathedral...
By this time, I had used up the last of my euros, so was reliant on the credit card for the rest of the day. And this is where I had a “religious experience” – quite appropriate in a city like Dublin I thought! First I visited the Anglican Cathedral, where the smiling man at the desk let me pay the 4.50 euro entry charge on the card. And I had a lovely wander around there. Next I took a brisk walk several blocks to St Patrick’s Catholic Cathedral (5.50 euro entry charge), where the grump on the desk told me I’d have to pay their minimum of 10 euro if I wanted to use the card… so I (very politely of course) told him where he could stick his Cathedral, and departed… so now I understand how the Reformation came about!

So overall a mixed day in Dublin. It wasn’t a city that excited me, and I can quite happily put it on the “been there, done that” list.

No comments:

Post a Comment