Saturday, July 23, 2011

Greenock

Quote of the day: “I guess once you’ve been to the top of one mountain, they’re all pretty much the same, aren’t they?”

Today the trend of travel hiccups continued, believe it or not. Changing plans seems to be a major theme of this trip! Before I left New Zealand, I’d signed up for a private trip to Edinburgh. The nine of us met up on board, and headed off to meet the guide… only to find that there had been a mix-up, and he only had space for seven. Oh dear – so I volunteered to be one of the two who stayed behind. “Quick trip” quipped the security lady as I went back on board… Mumble, mumble…

Anyway, I did the obvious, and headed for a coffee and a wee think. I tracked down the Princess tours people, and yes, I could probably get on one of their excursions… but I couldn’t really face a busload of people today, thank you.

Instead (when I finally remembered) I reverted to my initial plan for this port, walked into town, and hopped on a train to Glasgow… well, it’s all Scotland, isn’t it??? I managed to navigate my way to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, which I’d read about. Fascinating mix or art and artifacts – everything from Impressionists to stuffed animals and mummies, to a Spitfire suspended over one of the halls.

For me the art was the big attraction, of course. It was a bit like a buffet, with a little bit of everything: Renoir, Cezanne, Matisse, Pissarro, Monet etc. Well, you get the picture… And any gallery that has a Van Gogh I didn’t know about is a winner with me. This place had two!

Very modern!
Bonus was a lovely organ recital over lunch. They have the organ set up in this massive atrium, high above ground level, which gives it a wonderful resonating tone. Went down well with my Cajun chicken sandwich and latte.

Back into town, wander through the pedestrian zones, quick flick through the Contemporary Art Gallery, then on the train back to the ship. Altogether another great day, even if it didn’t go to plan.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes surprise shifts in plan yield the greatest days of travel.

    ReplyDelete