Sunday, July 3, 2011

Stonehenge... erm... rocks!

Today I took a trip to the country, visiting Bath and Stonehenge. I did it the easy way - I took a bus trip, along with a group of fellow tourists.Now maybe Saturday in summer wasn't such a great choice of times to go, but even with the crowds, I had a great day. And while I love the city, it was a pleasant break to see a bit of rural scenery for a few hours. It's remarkably like New Zealand actually...

The drive was just under two hours each way, but it didn't really seem that long. The two American ladies in front of me ate and drank all the way, reminding me of cruise passengers. They were the only ones on the bus who had ordered the optional lunch!

The Roman baths were fascinating. I particularly liked the way the Romans decided that the bubbling hot spring must mean that there was a god living down there, and so built a temple to the god up above. Great way of explaining things you don't understand... and the resulting complex must have been so impressive when it was built.

Stonehenge is one of those places everyone should see if they get the chance. It's the age of it - over 4000 years old - and the achievement of the ancients in getting those huge slabs of rocks to the site, and then lifting them into place, that leaves you shaking your head in wonder - and wondering why they bothered in the first place! Theories abound, and like any good mystery, the clues are gradually emerging over time...

Bonus for me: there was very little walking involved, so my feet got a chance to recover.

1 comment: