Thursday, July 28, 2011

Visiting with the Captain...

Quote of the Day: “I don’t want to do that excursion. There’s no shopping at all. I just gotta go shopping.”

Today was another sea day, and the weather is still keeping us all inside. However the Captain assures us that it is all about to change, with 28C predicted for Bermuda, and 80% humidity, so it should feel like about 38C.
The men driving the ship

A real treat today: Anne from our Cruise Critic group (aka Crazy Cruisers 2011 when we don’t want to upset the senior crew) had organized a tour of the Bridge for us. This is the first time I’ve been on the Bridge – only a few people are selected for this on any cruise – so I was delighted to have the opportunity.

Security was tight. The security people had a list of names, which they checked twice against our key cards. We were then whisked through the Officers cabin area, and onto the Bridge itself. Great view from here, of course. After a quick run through the various bits of equipment, the Captain appeared and we all got the chance to have our photos taken with him (he’s the one in white!). All very cheesy, but the Captain is so friendly and welcoming, I just had to do it. OK, so I also admit to a photo with an officer’s hat on, holding the wheel, but there’s no way I’m putting that up on here!
Bridge tour talk

So our 20 minutes allocated time was over very quickly, and before we knew where we were, it was all over, and we were back in the public areas of the ship. Very enjoyable though…

Oh, and a week down the track, my hair is still looking criminally short, thanks to the scalping I got in Amsterdam. I think that’s why in the first 4 days on board I got asked 3 times if I was a member of the crew, and twice if I was part of the entertainment! I guess I don’t quite fit the demographic of this cruise…
Trophy picture!

1 comment:

  1. We are enjoying your blog Phillip. Your quotes of the day are great!! We were on the 2010 World Cruise so appreciate your sense of humour. What's the theme for your novel??? Imagine you could be gaining some good ammunition during your travels... Continue to enjoy yourself, stay safe... are you going to make this cruise a yearly event????

    ReplyDelete